| Barry MacDonnell's
Toolbox for WordPerfect
Macros, tips, and
templates for Corel® WordPerfect® for Windows®
| Page updated Jun 4, 2018
Main tips page | Browse more tips
| Does the Document
Review dialog box keep coming up even after you
are finished reviewing the document with File, Document, Compare, Compare/ Review?
Here's how to -
• stop it from appearing,
• remove the feature's special Insertion and Deletion codes
WordPerfect menu choices refer to the <WordPerfect> menu (right-click on the top menu bar for a choice of menus). If you use a <Microsoft Word> menu, the choices might be absent from your menu (but not from the program), or they might be found under another menu selection. See here for more.
Related pages -
• Using "Document Compare" (i.e., File, Document, Compare, Compare Only)
Some common issues with the File, Document, Compare, Compare/ Review feature:
A user in a Corel newsgroup asked:
"... we are using Review for tracking changes ... how do you get rid of this Review dialog box when you are finished using this feature? Everytime we open this document this Review box pops up."
And what if you just want to get rid of the special Insertion and Deletion codes produced by the Review feature?
Try one of these solutions:
• Open the reviewed document as the Author;
• accept or reject all changes (i.e., insertions or deletions);
• after accepting or rejecting all changes, click the [Close] button on the Review property bar;
• re-save the document;
• re-open it.
As Charles Rossiter (Corel C_Tech) suggested on Corel's WordPerfect Office 11 newsgroup (10/27/03):
• Assuming there are no Review annotations [i.e., insertions or deletions] to be accepted or rejected [you can use Reveal Codes to verify this; be sure to also search for them in footnotes, endnotes, headers, footers, text boxes, etc.],
• add and delete a space in the text;
• press the Close button on the review bar;
• re-save the document; then
• re-open it.
If neither of the above solutions works — or you just want to remove the special Insertion and Deletion codes — try this:
• Open the reviewed document;
• click Edit, Select, All;
• copy the selection to the clipboard with Ctrl+C;
• close the reviewed document;
• in a new (empty) document, paste the slection with Ctrl+V;
• either save this new document with the same name as the original, overwriting it, or save it with a different name;
• close the newly saved document.
Test: Open the newly saved document. The Review Document dialog should not appear. Reviewer's/Author's comments and added changes should appear as normal text.If Solution 3 does not work:
Solution 4: (Alternative to Solution 3)
• Convert your document in a format that does not support Document Review.
• According to the Corel Support site:
"A good format to export this file as would be Rich Text Format (RTF) or WP5.1/5.2. The document will not be in review mode when you open it. The reviewer's remarks are lost because the added text (red) and the deleted text (strikethrough) revert to regular text. Once opened, you can re-save the document as a standard WordPerfect Document (WPD)."
Here's a macro that will do the same thing as
Solution 3 above. To copy this code into your WordPerfect program to create a working macro see here.
// PURPOSE: Removes the "Review Document" dialog that pops up when opening a document that has been previously reviewed with File, Document, Review.
the 'Review Document' dialog that pops up when opening this"
+NToC(0F90Ah)+ "document if it has been previously reviewed with File,
Document, Review?" ; OKCancel!)
// First, exit from any
header, footer, footnote, endnote, box, etc. -
// Store the current
file's path and name -
SelectAll // Select
everything in the doc
// If the (now) current
document has something in it (i.e., it's not blank)...
// Save the "host" file
using the same name
// End of macro code