Toolbox for WordPerfect
Macros, tips, and
templates for Corel® WordPerfect® for Windows®
|Page updated Jan 7, 2013|
|LinkToURL - Automates the creation of an active hyperlink in a WordPerfect document from a selected Internet address ("URL")|
There are two basic issues this WordPerfect 10+ macro addresses:
(1) Under normal conditions, if these two WordPerfect features are enabled (i.e., ticked) --
-- then typical Internet website addresses (URLs), when pasted into WordPerfect and then immediately followed by a space character, will become active hyperlinks.
But some URLs will not be automatically converted. For example:
However, this macro will create active hyperlinks of up to 235 characters (but not longer: see Limitations... below).
(2) The standard way to create a hyperlink to an Internet website address is to -
Functions and limitations
This macro solves many problems (but not all: see below) with creating a hyperlink from a too-long Internet address, and it also eliminates at least two of the manual steps above (even more, if you must first copy and paste the URL into WordPerfect).
It will take either a currently selected Internet address (i.e., an URL) in a WordPerfect document, or if nothing was selected, the last item in the Windows clipboard (presumably, an URL selected in a web browser or other source and copied to the clipboard), and make it into a clickable hyperlink at the current cursor location, all with a single mouse click.
Of course, this presumes you have just selected an Internet URL and not something else! The macro will perform a rudimentary check to see if at least the four characters, "http," are present in the selected text.
The macro processes just one URL at a time, not a group of selected URLs.
Step 1. Beginning options:
Step 2. Select an URL from your browser's address
field or web page -
or in any document, including a WordPerfect document -
Step 3. Copy the selection to the Windows clipboard with Ctrl+c.
Step 4. Play the macro.
Tip: The macro can be assigned later to Ctrl+Alt+k, which is used by Microsoft Word for the same purpose, or any other available keyboard shortcut. See http://wptoolbox.com/tips/EasyPlay.html.
(1) Always test the results (a quick mouse click should do it). There seems to be an internal character limit to the HypertextCreate() macro command. Therefore, this macro limits long URLs to 235 characters. And it may not work with some shorter URLs. But for most URLs it should make creating active hyperlinks a little easier.
(2) Once the link is created, the Windows clipboard is emptied, ready for the next select-and-create-link operation. (This prevents accidentally pasting a previous selection of text between the paired [Hyperlink] codes when conducting multiple, sequential link operations during a session.) You can disable this clipboard flushing feature with a setting in the redlined User Modification Area in the macro's code.
(3) Ordinarily, two WordPerfect options should
be enabled to globally (a) activate all hyperlinks in WordPerfect
and (b) (optionally) format Internet addresses as hyperlinks
while you are typing them in a document: Activate Hyperlinks
(under Tools, Settings, Environment), and Format words as
hyperlinks when you type them (under Tools, QuickCorrect,
(4) Make it easier to use: The macro can be assigned later to Ctrl+Alt+k, which is used by Microsoft Word for the same purpose, or any other available keyboard shortcut. See http://wptoolbox.com/tips/EasyPlay.html.
(5) Related macros: